Friday, June 15, 2007

It's Always Something!!

What a night! We had to take Austin to the Emergency Room yesterday afternoon.He woke up with a little cough and a low grade fever ,really was not that big of deal but it turned bad around 3pm.After his nap OI noticed he was breathing really fast and very hard and that was while he was laying down.After talking to our nurse at the Dr.s office she said we needed to take him to the E.R..
We went to the one up the street because they are always way fast.Once we
got their they rushed him back because it was apparent he was having a hard time. His breathing was over 60 a minute and his heart rate was 165-170! It was pretty scary! They said he was in respiratory distress.
They did x-rays and Austin loved it! He posed for "the special camera"! Blood work however was not as fun.I had to hold him down and he was screaming for me to help him.Broke my heart!
Within an hour the Dr. was back and said he had spoken with our pediatrician and he needed to be taken to the children's hospital because he had pneumonia and his white blood cell count was in the teens..So off we went!
Thank God for Gran who came and watched the other two so Daddy could come be with us and bring me some much needed dinner.
He had another set of X-rays plus 3 more breathing treatments.Trying to get a 3 year old to do a breathing treatment is pure hell! I kid you not!
The Dr. said that he had a bronchial infection that was inflamed and caused his airways to constrict.He had fluid in his lungs that was the beginning of pneumonia and it was a good thing we had brought him in when we did.He gave him steroids and that helped his heart rate so we were able to go home.They sent us home with a portable nebulizer for breathing treatments.I would have paid more attention to the instructional video we had to watch had I known it was ours for life!
Daddy took Austin home while I went to an all night pharmacy to get steroids , antibiotics and his breathing medicine filled.I crawled into bed about 2:30am this morning! I awoke this morning to a pumped up steroid induced Austin , 2 more sick kids and a sore throat myself! What a day its shaping up to be!

0 comments: